I went hiking on Yorkshire 3 Peaks recently with my buddies and well… I almost died. LOL
It was 12 hours straight of hiking. For someone who has never done any hiking before, that was a tough challenge. But I was able to do it, thanks to my gorgeous girlfriend, who lovingly prepared food enough to feed a whole army!
One of the stuff she did for me was these awesomely light but lush flapjacks. It wasn’t sweet compared to normal flapjacks you can buy from stores, but it was so wholesome and healthy. Best of all, it fuelled me and kept me going. They were so delicious, too!
- breakfast on the go
- pre workout food
- post workout food
- emergency snacks (keep in your car/work drawer)
It’s also a perfect food to help you gain weight because of its complex carbs content. That is, if they are the healthy kind!
Flapjacks have a reputation for being a healthy snack. Yet when you look for them in grocery stores or supermarkets you almost always get the ones that had been made with heavily processed grains, have generous amounts of butter/margarine and loaded with refined sugars.
Yeah they’re healthy alright!
So here’s the flapjack recipe that my girlfriend used. It’s super fast and super easy to make, and of course super healthy. This recipe will approximately take 30 minutes. It’s perfect for you if you’re always on the go.
- 500 g of mixed grains (organic rolled jumbo oats, buckwheat flakes, quinoa flakes)
- 1 finely chopped apple
- 3 squashed bananas
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- roughly chopped seeds and nuts
- dried fruits or raisins or dates
- 1 cup of fresh orange juice (if you’re going to buy it from the shop, opt for the Not-from-concentrate type)
- a cup of olive oil
add your favourite supplement powder if you like. I recommend [thirstylink linkid=”3659″ linktext=”Sun Warrior Protein Powder.” class=”thirstylink” title=”Sun Warrior Protein Powder.”]
- Pre heat oven at 180 C or gas mark 4
- Put grains in a mixing bowl
- Add orange juice
- Mix in all the other ingredients (seeds, nuts, dried fruits/raisins, apple, bananas)
- Mix it all up
- Drizzle the oil evenly
- Mix again
- Spoon golf size balls onto non stick greased baking tray
- Pop in oven for 20-25 mins, depending on how well cooked you want it to be.